Code review comment for lp:~jameinel/bzr/1.16-chk-direct

John A Meinel (jameinel) wrote :

This is a bit more of an [RFC] than a strict [MERGE], but I figured it would be good to get some feedback on the route I'm taking.

With the attached patch (and most of my other proposed updates for commit w/ dev6 format repositories) I've managed to get the time for initial commit of a MySQL repository down to ~ equivalent to the XML time.

For comparison:

dev6 15.5s
1.9 11.6s
dev6+ 13.5s
dev6-all 11.6s

So this patch by itself saves approximately 2s, or 10-20% of the time for
initial commit.

The main change is to get away from calling for every object in
the commit, and instead to create a LeafNode and then _split() it.

This also includes my other change to improve performance
(_iter_nodes change:

However, still has a lot of "did the LeafNode shrink"
overhead, that we really don't care about for initial commit.

Hopefully someone will approve 7113 for me, and then I'll resubmit this, so we can see that it isn't a very big change.

« Back to merge proposal