Merge lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby into lp:checkbox

Proposed by Chris Gregan on 2014-01-17
Status: Rejected
Rejected by: Daniel Manrique on 2014-01-24
Proposed branch: lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby
Merge into: lp:checkbox
Diff against target: 28 lines (+18/-0)
1 file modified
checkbox-old/jobs/audio.txt.in (+18/-0)
To merge this branch: bzr merge lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby
Reviewer Review Type Date Requested Status
Daniel Manrique 2014-01-17 Disapprove on 2014-01-24
Zygmunt Krynicki (community) Needs Information on 2014-01-20
Sylvain Pineau Needs Fixing on 2014-01-17
Review via email: mp+202091@code.launchpad.net

Description of the change

Added dolby test

To post a comment you must log in.
Sylvain Pineau (sylvain-pineau) wrote :

Chris, where's dolby51.mp4?

I'd create a subfolder in checkbox-old/data to host this file: audio

So that the command looks like this: totem $CHECKBOX_DATA/audio/dolby51.mp4

review: Needs Fixing
Sylvain Pineau (sylvain-pineau) wrote :

And to respect Debian policies, please make sure that file is in the public domain, free to use.
It it comes with a license file please add it to the audio directory as well.

review: Needs Fixing
Daniel Manrique (roadmr) wrote :

I'd start by checking the licensing of the dolby audio sample file. If it's debian-incompatible, it could be packaged in ihv-ng instead; this test will fail if the file is not present however :(

Sylvain Pineau (sylvain-pineau) wrote :

What if we ask dolby if we could reuse their demo files directly:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html

Chris Gregan (cgregan) wrote :

We cannot rely on internet access in the IHV labs

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Sylvain Pineau <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> What if we ask dolby if we could reuse their demo files directly:
>
>
> http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html
> --
> https://code.launchpad.net/~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby/+merge/202091
> You are the owner of lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby.
>

--
Chris Gregan
Project Quality Manager
Professional and Engineering Services
Canonical USA Inc.
<email address hidden>
cgregan[irc.freenode.net]
W-781-761-9448

----
1024/8806032D
E70F 7391 6C78 9B9E 6461 1CC7 B168 E1E7 8806 032D

Sylvain Pineau (sylvain-pineau) wrote :

I meant rights to redistribute their files

Zygmunt Krynicki (zyga) wrote :

Chris, you know I'm about to say this but the test description is *bad*: indicate the codec name used, this is *essential* as it will fail on my setup for the well-expected reason. I think we could try paplay --passthrough as totem cannot properly enable passthrogh on any other codec that I've tried and this test is bound to be copy-pasted to into other tests.

review: Needs Fixing
Chris Gregan (cgregan) wrote :

ok..I can re-work the case...np. Also, I've sent an email to Dolby legal to
get some clarification around the licenses governing the mp4 content on
their site.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Zygmunt Krynicki <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Review: Needs Fixing
>
> Chris, you know I'm about to say this but the test description is *bad*:
> indicate the codec name used, this is *essential* as it will fail on my
> setup for the well-expected reason. I think we could try paplay
> --passthrough as totem cannot properly enable passthrogh on any other codec
> that I've tried and this test is bound to be copy-pasted to into other
> tests.
> --
> https://code.launchpad.net/~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby/+merge/202091
> You are the owner of lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby.
>

--
Chris Gregan
Project Quality Manager
Professional and Engineering Services
Canonical USA Inc.
<email address hidden>
cgregan[irc.freenode.net]
W-781-761-9448

----
1024/8806032D
E70F 7391 6C78 9B9E 6461 1CC7 B168 E1E7 8806 032D

Zygmunt Krynicki (zyga) wrote :

Thanks for getting in touch with Dolby. This would be a great asset.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Chris Gregan <email address hidden>wrote:

> ok..I can re-work the case...np. Also, I've sent an email to Dolby legal to
> get some clarification around the licenses governing the mp4 content on
> their site.
>
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Zygmunt Krynicki <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Review: Needs Fixing
> >
> > Chris, you know I'm about to say this but the test description is *bad*:
> > indicate the codec name used, this is *essential* as it will fail on my
> > setup for the well-expected reason. I think we could try paplay
> > --passthrough as totem cannot properly enable passthrogh on any other
> codec
> > that I've tried and this test is bound to be copy-pasted to into other
> > tests.
> > --
> > https://code.launchpad.net/~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby/+merge/202091
> > You are the owner of lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby.
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Chris Gregan
> Project Quality Manager
> Professional and Engineering Services
> Canonical USA Inc.
> <email address hidden>
> cgregan[irc.freenode.net]
> W-781-761-9448
>
> ----
> 1024/8806032D
> E70F 7391 6C78 9B9E 6461 1CC7 B168 E1E7 8806 032D
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby/+merge/202091
> You are reviewing the proposed merge of lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby
> into lp:checkbox.
>

lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby updated on 2014-01-17
2599. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-17

updated dolby case

Zygmunt Krynicki (zyga) wrote :

IIRC the file uses E-AC3 but I cannot confirm this without the access to the file. You can check that locally and correct the case test case description. I'd like to include the codec name in the test case name as we may get more of those later on.

Have you gotten any reply from Dolby? If not, can we look at producing our own sample of this kind? Perhaps the pulseaudio project has similar problem and found the samples (or made them) that we could use directly?

review: Needs Information
lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby updated on 2014-01-23
2600. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

updated steps

2601. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

Added mp4 file to data dir

2602. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

Added ac3 file instead of mp4

2603. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-23

added Bluetooth tests

Daniel Manrique (roadmr) wrote :

OK to document the alternative, which is shipping the dolby51 test in c-d-t-s, we'd have to:
- do these changes in checkbox-ihv-ng tree
- place the data file in plainbox-gui/data
- place a text file (say, multi-channel-audio.txt) in plainbox-gui/data, with only the audio/dolby51 test definition
- modify the test definition to refer to $CHECKBOX_SHARE/data/dolby51.ac3 (not _$DATA)
- modify the packaging branch to
  - put the data file (dolby51.ac3) in /usr/lib/plainbox-providers-1/canonical-driver-test-suite/data
  - put the job file in /usr/lib/plainbox-providers-1/canonical-driver-test-suite/jobs

lp:~cgregan/checkbox/audio_dolby updated on 2014-01-24
2604. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-24

removed BT updates

Daniel Manrique (roadmr) wrote :

This was decomposed into separate merge requests:

Bluetooth test additions, to go directly into checkbox:
https://code.launchpad.net/~cgregan/checkbox/bluetooth/+merge/203131

Changes to c-d-t-s, namely:
 - Adding bluetooth whitelist
 - Better organization of files to be packaged in the provider, with specific jobs, whitelists and data directories
 - Addition of multichannel (dolby 5.1) test definition and data file.
https://code.launchpad.net/~roadmr/checkbox-ihv-ng/bluetooth-multichannel-audio/+merge/203134

Changes to c-d-t-s packaging, to account for the whitelist relocation, and package the new jobs and data directories:
https://code.launchpad.net/~roadmr/checkbox-ihv-ng/packaging-bluetooth-audio/+merge/203133

Since this branch was superseded I'll mark it as rejected. THanks though; you did all the work, we're just organizing it a bit differently.

review: Disapprove

Unmerged revisions

2604. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-24

removed BT updates

2603. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-23

added Bluetooth tests

2602. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

Added ac3 file instead of mp4

2601. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

Added mp4 file to data dir

2600. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-22

updated steps

2599. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-17

updated dolby case

2598. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-16

switched gsrteamer to totem playback

2597. By Chris Gregan on 2014-01-16

addition of dolby case

Preview Diff

[H/L] Next/Prev Comment, [J/K] Next/Prev File, [N/P] Next/Prev Hunk
1=== added directory 'checkbox-old/data/audio'
2=== added file 'checkbox-old/data/audio/dolby51.ac3'
3Binary files checkbox-old/data/audio/dolby51.ac3 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 and checkbox-old/data/audio/dolby51.ac3 2014-01-24 17:26:11 +0000 differ
4=== modified file 'checkbox-old/jobs/audio.txt.in'
5--- checkbox-old/jobs/audio.txt.in 2014-01-15 16:12:43 +0000
6+++ checkbox-old/jobs/audio.txt.in 2014-01-24 17:26:11 +0000
7@@ -350,3 +350,21 @@
8 _description: Record mixer settings after suspending 30 times.
9 command:
10 audio_settings store --file=$CHECKBOX_DATA/audio_settings_after_suspend_30_cycles; diff $CHECKBOX_DATA/audio_settings_before_suspend $CHECKBOX_DATA/audio_settings_after_suspend_30_cycles
11+
12+plugin: user-interact-verify
13+name: audio/dolby51
14+depends: audio/list_devices
15+estimated_duration: 120.0
16+requires:
17+ device.category == 'AUDIO'
18+command: totem $CHECKBOX_DATA/audio/dolby51.ac3
19+_description:
20+ PURPOSE:
21+ Check that Dolby surround is working as expected using encoded mp4 with AC3 Passthrough.ate
22+ STEPS:
23+ 1. Click the test button
24+ 2. Open Edit menu and select Preferences
25+ 3. Click the Audio tab and set Audio Output Type to AC3 Passthrough.
26+ 4. Listen to the audio signal play across the various speakers in your setup
27+ VERIFICATION:
28+ Did the audio system perform as expected?

Subscribers

People subscribed via source and target branches