- 97. By Scott James Remnant (Canonical) on 2009-11-09
über-readahead is a replacement for sreadahead that should
significantly improve boot performance on rotational hard drives,
especially those that had regressed in performance from jaunty to
It does this by pre-loading such things as ext2/3/4 inodes and opening
files in as logical order as possible before loading all blocks in one
pass across the disk.
On SSD, this behaves much as sreadahead used to, replacing that package
with slightly improved tracing code.
This requires the kernel package also found in karmic-proposed.
- 95. By Scott James Remnant (Canonical) on 2009-11-05
* New upstream release:
- Move ext2fs inode group lookup into the tracing stage, storing the
groups to preload in the pack, rather than spending time on normal
boots working it out.
- Open files in order of inode group (or inode number on non-ext2fs),
which seems to give a benefit in load time and certainly produces
better blktrace output.
- Increase the "too old" check from a month to a year.
- Fix dump of zero-byte files to not claim a single page.
- Fix unhandled error output when given an unknown pack file.
- Don't call ureadhead for the root filesystem twice on boot (the second
time should only take a few ms, but that's still time)
- Consider exit status 4 (no pack file for given mount point) normal.
- Make uselib tracing optional.
- Branch format:
- Branch format 7
- Repository format:
- Bazaar repository format 2a (needs bzr 1.16 or later)